Monday, February 13, 2012

A Name Story

It is one of the main Human forms of communication. We use it to give meaning, define or just pin-point something. Everyone and everything has a name, sometimes more than one. In the circles we enter we can re-invent ourselves by choosing to present themselves with the name we choose. You can have a fb name, a blogger name, your friends call you Mary and your grandma still knows you as Maroula!!!
But what is a name and what does it really mean? The Arabs have names longer than trains (4-5 names), the Spanish try to compete (3-4) and other counties give their own meanings. 
Even if you dont have a tongue twister as a name, your name can still say where you are from. 
Brian Adams---> England
Mixalis HadjiYiannis-----> Cyprus
........... ........akis ------> Crete

etc..
We all have the right to reinvent and make sense of who we are an what we are doing here. That being said, I have to admit that I like my name, Rana. It has always been adequate in describing me and it still is. But out of respect to the blogger world I decided to get myself a screen name... I have noticed that it is an impo factor to the whole page consistency thing so i am taking a leap of faith.
So.... I got to thinking.. What would be my blogger Id? the stronger of all intuitions was a question: WHAT IS YOUR dinosaur NAME? ie if I was a dinosaur what would I be known as? one of my worst quality is that i tend to interrupt ppl while they talk. you see, I am too empathetic for my own good. I really get into the speakers shoes and i know what they want to say! (at least st that is true! the rest its just rude! ) So I am............. The Interruptor
Nice ha! This way, i can have a reminder of what I would like to change in me AND have a cool blog name :) Plus, being a practical Taurus, I know what will i do when I get over my interrupting phase.... I will be: Interruptor X     

T o conclude I would like to quote some of my favorite literature lines, coming from Romeo and Juliet by Shakespeare:   


'Tis but thy name that is my enemy;
Thou art thyself, though not a Montague.
What's Montague? it is nor hand, nor foot,
Nor arm, nor face, nor any other part
Belonging to a man. O, be some other name!
What's in a name? that which we call a rose
By any other name would smell as sweet;
So Romeo would, were he not Romeo call'd,
Retain that dear perfection which he owes
Without that title. Romeo, doff thy name,
And for that name which is no part of thee
Take all myself.

1 comment: